The 5 things you must know when buying new flooring, by Rhonda Deal
What comes first, the paint colour for the walls or the carpet? Or maybe you want laminate and pops of colour supplied by bright patterned rugs? Either way your decision will not be a spur-of-the-moment thing. Planning – my favourite word when it comes to all things interiors – is key. Research your choice of flooring online, visit carpet showrooms, check out magazines, all the while keeping the following five bits of information beside you to refer to, especially when visiting a carpet warehouse or showroom.
– How is your room going to be used?
– Will there be light or heavy traffic such as family entertaining, kids’ play area or direct access from outside?
Colour & Style
– Stripes are trending still but beware the room size; they can be overwhelming. Stripes make it easier to choose wall colour, though, since you can pick any one of the colours in the pattern to tone with your existing décor and accessories.
Making sure your existing furnishings will work with your flooring choice
– When visiting a carpet store or warehouse take with you swatches of curtain fabrics, a cushion and paint swatch.
– How much you want to spend and whether your choice of flooring will come in on budget depends on the size of room and type of use the flooring will get.
– Totally related to cost, the quality of your flooring depends on how much you have budgeted.
– Cost-effective carpet and laminate have a limited shelf-life.